One of the biggest obstacles we have to overcome in a bathroom remodel nj or upgrade is the decision we make about our bathtubs. You may have an older cast iron tub that would be a major hassle to remove because of the heavy weight of the cast iron tub. Perhaps you have purchased an antique tub and want to refinish or re-glaze it so it can be used in your bathroom project. There is a tub refinishing technique that has been developed and adopted by many companies to help you to save money as well as accommodating your shower and tub needs. Tub refinishing or bathtub reglazing nj has become a very popular alternative. There are a few simple steps that need to be taken in the preparation in order to accomplish this task.
Reasons for Tub Refinishing:
- Cost: With tub refinishing you will save in several ways. You will not have the cost of a new tub to begin with. You will also save money because you will not have to pay for the time removing your old tub or shower and cleaning up the debris.
- Choice of colors: There is a variety of colors to choose from so you can choose the colors that are comfortable for you.
- Ease of Cleaning: A new surface will not have the scratches and chips that are missing. You will have a nice smooth surface that will be much easier to clean. You will not have a buildup in the scratches and dents that could be harmful.
- Time Involved: We know that any construction project takes time. With bathroom fixtures and tub refinishing you will cut the time involved with your project.
- Value: You will also maximize and increase the value of your home.
Steps to Refinishing
- Remove all of the silicone caulk and other types of sealer that may be on the surface of your tub. If possible you need to remove the drain screen as well as the shower faucet and shower head.
- The surrounding areas need to be covered with a paper or plastic much the same way you would when you are preparing a car for painting. You do not want the refinishing material to get on anything you do not want refinished.
- A cleaner is used to clean and etch the surface to prepare for the finish. This is an important step because you want the material being used in the re-glazing process to adhere to the surface of your tub. If this process is not done properly your finish could peel off at a later time.
Long Lasting and Money Saving Option
A typical refinish or tile and tub reglazing project could last you up to 15 years. This is a great way to save money so you can use the extra money saved on other projects to help improve your home (read about How to Save Money by Bathtub refinishing). Be sure to take this type of upgrade into consideration before you begin your next remodeling or upgrade project. Be sure to talk to your local contactor, SkyWindowsNJ.com, to see if this tub refinishing technique is a good fit for you!